One prisoner is dead and dozens poisoned after drinking disinfectant in notorious Bail jail where six Aussies are held
- One prisoner is dead and 12 in hospital after being poisoned with disinfectant
- As many as 21 people were sold drink disguised as a sugar can liquor last week
- A female prisoner had used poison being used to clean prison with vit C drink
- She had sold it to other inmates for AU$5 per glass before they all fell sick
One prisoner has died and a further 12 remain in hospital after drinking disinfectant inside one of the world’s most notorious jails.
A female inmate at Bali’s Kerobokan prison stole a 4.5 litre bottle of poison that was being used to clean the facility under coronavirus protocols before selling it to other prisoners disguised as a sugarcane liquor.
As many as 21 people were rushed to hospital with fevers and stomach cramps as a result of the poisoning, with a woman known as Ni Radita passing away on Friday.
One prisoner has died and a further 12 remain in hospital after drinking disinfectant inside Bali’s infamous Kerobokan jail
Kerobokan is home for six Australians including Bali Nine members Matthew Norman and Si Yi Chen (pictured)
Kerobokan, known to locals as ‘Hotel K’ and home for six Australians including Bali Nine members Matthew Norman and Si Yi Chen, is infamous for being vastly overcrowded and extremely under-policed.
The ABC reported in 2017 that there were just four guards in charge of the 1,300 inmates, with cells so packed with convicted criminals the doors struggled to close.
The woman who died was a 25-year-old serving a five-year and six-month sentence for possession of one gram of methamphetamine.
They believe she died as a result of kidney failure from the poison.
Prison Chief Ms Lili confirmed her death, saying inmates ‘try everything to get drunk’ and many believed the disinfectant was alcohol.
‘Our prison is clean, there are no narcotics, no methamphetamine,’ she said.
‘We use the disinfectant for health protocols in prison. But it is misused by the prisoners.’
The ABC reported in 2017 that there were just four guards in charge of the 1,300 inmates, with cells so packed with convicted criminals the doors struggled to close
She said four prisoners were initially rushed to Sangalah Hospital where one died.
Upon hearing the news of the other’s detiorating health, several more came forward admitting they too had drank the poison.
The woman who sold them the drink had mixed the cleaning agent with a vitamin C dirnk called NutriSari and was selling it for AU$5 per glass.
The prison has been on lockdown since March 31 last year, with prisoners saying the conditions and lack of visits from family has led to prison-wide consequences including increased violence.