Terrifying moment a three-year-old girl is bitten by a deadly snake in a suburban backyard – before her grandma’s quick thinking saved her life
- Toddler unknowingly stepped on a dugite snake as she played in backyard
- Grandmother held the girl still and wrapped her legs tight, saving her life
- The girl was given anti-venom and spent one night in hospital
The terrifying moment a three-year-old girl was bitten by a venomous snake has been caught on camera.
Lucia Carna was playing in her grandmother’s backyard on December 17 when she accidentally stepped on what is believed to be dugite snake.
Footage from the unit complex in Mandurah, Western Australia, showed the little girl standing still when suddenly she made a high pitched cry after being bitten.
The girl can be seen looking down and jumping away from the snake, running to her grandmother, Jill, who stood about three metres away.
‘Nan, a snake!’ said the girl’s brother.
The video showed the grandmother bolt to her grandchild, scoop her up into her arms and rush her inside.
Jill then made the critical decision to wrap the girl’s legs and keep her very still until an ambulance arrived and rushed her to Rockingham General Hospital.
It was the quick first aid treatment that may have saved the girl’s life.
‘What we were told at the hospital was that Mum’s actions immediately after had made a massive difference,’ said the girl’s mum, Holly Carna, according to the ABC.
Lucia Carna (pictured), 3, is bitten by a venomous dugite snake after she accidentally stepped on it in her grandmother’s backyard
Associate professor Stephen Grainger, the emergency physician who treated Lucia, said: ‘The aim of a pressure bandage is to try and slow the spread of venom into the circulation and prevent that early cardiac arrest.’
‘Good CPR, which you learn in a first-aid course, will greatly improve your outcome and give you a chance of making it to hospital and receiving anti-venom.’
Expert snake handler, Paul Kenyon agreed.
‘It slows the spread of the venom down if you do everything right,’ said Mr Kenyon.
Lucia was released from hospital after one night in the emergency ward.
Grandmother’s quick first aid response saved the little girl’s life
Dugite snakes are also known as spotted brown snakes and are native to Western Australia.
They can grow to as long as two metres in length and live in a variety of habitats including coastal dunes, shrub lands, woodlands and forests.
Dugite snakes are also commonly found near buildings in concrete slabs, fibro sheets and tin roofs.
The snakes have a highly toxic venom and are considered very dangerous to humans.
Source: Australian Museum